Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Towanda in Bradford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Towanda's Oldest House

1 York Ave.

 
 
Towanda's Oldest House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2008
1. Towanda's Oldest House Marker
Inscription.  Col. Harry Spalding built one of the town’s few structures of federal style architecture in 1812. He erected a combination tavern and dwelling at 1 York Ave. It is the oldest house in this borough and third oldest in the county. The building was used as a store and tavern. “Spalding’s”, as it was called, became a popular stopping place for travelers. Originally there was a spacious ballroom on the third floor. The ballroom also served as sleeping quarters for those waiting for the next stagecoach along what was known as “Post Road,” now York Avenue. After being owned for generations by the Spalding and Mix families, the property was purchased by Christ Episcopal Church in 1921 for use as a rectory. During this time extensive modern structural changes were made. Since the 1940’s Towanda’s oldest house has been a private home.
 
Location. 41° 46.282′ N, 76° 26.601′ W. Marker is in Towanda, Pennsylvania, in Bradford County. Marker is at the intersection of York Avenue (U.S. 6) and Mix Avenue, on the right when traveling south on York Avenue
Towanda's Oldest House image. Click for full size.
By Cosmos Mariner, July 29, 2008
2. Towanda's Oldest House
. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 York Avenue, Towanda PA 18848, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Overton House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Macfarlane House (about 500 feet away); Towanda First Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Towanda Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Canal House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Daily Review (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stephen Foster (approx. 0.2 miles away); David Wilmot (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Towanda.
 
More about this marker. Marker is a large, embossed metal plaque, mounted at eye-level on a metal post.
 
Also see . . .  Towanda Historic District. Harry Spalding was one of the merchants who settled in the village's early days. Spalding operated a store and tavern in the building still standing at 1 York Avenue, which was built in 1812. (Submitted on February 11, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Categories. ArchitectureIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 

More. Search the internet for Towanda's Oldest House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 64 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement