Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile

 
 
Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 16, 2019
1. Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile Marker
Inscription.  In 1846, one year after New Braunfels was founded, a mercantile company owned by James Ferguson and Henry Hessler opened on the corner of Castell and San Antonio streets. By 1858, both men had died and Ernst Scherff, an employee, purchased the business from Ferguson's widow. The name changed to Ernst Scherff Mercantile. Six years later, Scherff moved the business to the center of town on the corner of Main Plaza and Seguin Street. Scherff, as sole owner, grew his business into one of the most successful in the region. In 1887, Scherff leased the business to his nephew, George Knoke from Germany, and George Eiband, an employee. The business became known as Knoke & Eiband.

In the late 1890s, Ernst (E.A.) Eiband (George's brother) and Emil Fischer, both employees, leased the business. In 1910, a weeklong grand opening celebration for the enlarged Eiband & Fischer, Inc. took place and was attended by crowds from surrounding areas. The mercantile continued successfully selling groceries, piece goods, clothing, china, crystal, farm machinery, feed and seed to local citizens, farmers and ranchers. Like their predecessors, they also served as
Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile Building Annex image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 16, 2019
2. Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile Building Annex
cotton buyers and short-term bankers. The property was bought by Eiband & Fischer in 1929. On March 2, 1947, the store was consumed by fire. The annex across the courtyard was untouched and served as the store for twelve years after the fire. The burned out shell of the basement served as the home of Wurstfest from 1963-1966. Since 1975, the New Braunfels Utilities has used the annex building for offices. This site reminds us of the successful businesses that once thrived and laid the foundation for today's downtown New Braunfels.
 
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17083.)
 
Location. 29° 42.183′ N, 98° 7.439′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of East San Antonio Street and Main Plaza, on the right when traveling north on East San Antonio Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 263 Main Plaza, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Comal County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Plaza Bandstand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Comal County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); New Braunfels (about 300 feet away); Site of Old Schmitz Hotel
Eiband and Fischer Department Store image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 16, 2019
3. Eiband and Fischer Department Store
(about 400 feet away); Hinmann House (about 600 feet away); Early Settlers' Home (about 600 feet away); Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
More. Search the internet for Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.