Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bandera in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bandera Historic Town Center

 
 
Bandera Historic Town Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 17, 2019
1. Bandera Historic Town Center Marker
Inscription.  The origin of the name of Bandera Pass and its namesake city and county dates back to conflicts between the Spanish Army and native Lipan Apaches in the early 18th century. The history of the townsite began in the early 1840s, when Charles de Montel and John James explored and surveyed the area on the northeast side of the Medina River. The men formed a company with John Hunter Herndon and purchased land from Bernardino Ruiz out of Bexar County Land Survey No. 58, Section 5, on December 9, 1841. De Montel, a German immigrant, became a soldier in the Texas army and an early area settler; James surveyed across Texas including some of the earliest mapping of the Hill Country; and Herndon was one of the wealthiest men in Texas at the time. Together, these three men oversaw the establishment of buildings and expansion for the town of Bandera. Near what became the center of the townsite survey (now 11th street), Ruiz had built a small stone house, which was later used by James as a land office and then sold to de Montel. James and de Montel also established a sawmill in the new town.

In 1854, Lyman Wight established a Mormon colony near
Bandera Historic Town Center Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brian Anderson, February 17, 2019
2. Bandera Historic Town Center Marker
Bandera, which included a schoolhouse and furniture factory. The following year, Polish immigrants arrived, and many of their early hand-cut limestone buildings are among the city’s architectural heritage. Polish immigrant Johann Dlugosz (John Dugosh) built the first combined store and post office for German immigrant, August Klappenbach. The Texas legislature created and organized Bandera County in 1856 and made Bandera the county seat. Settlers of various origins became part of the community, including African American, British, Norwegian, Scottish, Irish and French immigrants.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18179.)
 
Location. 29° 43.455′ N, 99° 4.353′ W. Marker is in Bandera, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is at the intersection of 11th Street and Cedar Street, on the right when traveling east on 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 11th Street, Bandera TX 78003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bandera's First Bank (here, next to this marker); Old Huffmeyer Store (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World" (about 500 feet away); Bandera, Texas USA (about 500 feet away); Great Western Cattle Trail (about 500 feet away); Camp Montel C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (about 800 feet away); Old Texas Ranger Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Jack Phillips (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bandera.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
More. Search the internet for Bandera Historic Town Center.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 26, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.