Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Great Railroad Boom
"Passenger service to Philadelphia and New York. All aboard!"
—Riverfront Wilmington —
The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad competed for control of Wilmington's first rail line, the old PW&B (Pennsylvania, Wilmington & Baltimore) which had been completed in 1837. In 1881, as the B&O prepared to move competing passenger services to the west side of Wilmington, the Pennsylvania Railroad built a grant new station at Front and French Streets. This building (above left) in the French Renaissance style served the City for about twenty years.
By 1905, the demand for passenger service had increased so much that a new larger facility was needed and the officials also decided to elevate the tracks to eliminate the dangerous at-grade crossings. This Romanesque Revival building (above right), built on the same site, still serves Wilmington as the Amtrak passenger station. The station building
Right: This Pennsylvania Railroad passenger station, built in 1881, was designed by Frank Furness of the Philadelphia firm of Furness, Evans and Company. This view taken about 1898 shows the at grade crossing, which was hazardous for pedestrians, carriages and wagons crossing the tracks. Only the crossing gates in the foreground of the picture controlled street traffic to prevent collisions with oncoming trains.
Far Right: In 1905, Frank Furness was again engaged to design a new station on the same site, this time in the Romanesque Revival style. This style relates to the massive stonework of the viaduct constructed at the same time to raise the tracks and eliminate dangerous at-grade crossings.
Below: PW&B Locomotive #1 and its crew stopped to pose for this portrait in the 1880s. Note the Harlan & Hollingsworth Shipyard in the background.
Above: Taken around 1860, this photo shows the simple PW&B passenger station erected in 1848 on Water Street between French & Walnut. For the first ten years of operation, passengers boarded and detrained directly to and from the street.
Location. 39° 44.204′ N, 75° 33.165′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from Rosa Parks Drive east of South Market Street (Business U.S. 13), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 Rosa Parks Drive, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Big Quarterly (here, next to this marker); Harriet Tubman (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Great Railroad Boom (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); South Market Street Bridge Dedicated in Honor of Senator John E. Reilly, Sr. (about 300 feet away); Freedom Lost (about 300 feet away); Frank Furness Railroad District (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named The Great Railroad Boom (about 400 feet away); South Market Street Bridge (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Categories. • Architecture • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 1, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.