Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Lammot du Pont Laboratory
Recognized as a skilled negotiator, Mr. du Pont was asked by the Lincoln administration to acquire vital supplies from abroad during the early years of the Civil War. He served in the Union army as captain of the Fifth Regiment of Delaware Volunteers. Mr. du Pont also gave generously to struggling families of Union soldiers.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Location. 39° 40.726′ N, 75° 45.102′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker can be reached from The Green south of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 175 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev. Dr. Francis Alison (1705-1779) (within shouting distance In Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); Hugh Martin Morris (1878-1966) (within shouting distance of this marker); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Walter J. Hullihen (1875-1944) (about 400 feet away); University of Delaware (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named University of Delaware (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Education • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 2, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 2, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.