Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sharon Springs in Schoharie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Main Street Tour

 
 
Historic Main Street Tour Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, March 9, 2019
1. Historic Main Street Tour Marker
Inscription. Prominent community businessman, Jacob Anthony, constructed the Anthony House in 1857. After an 1860 fire destroyed the enormous hotel, Anthony built the United States Hotel (top left) on the same site the following year. Eighteen years later, in 1879, that hotel also went up in flames. The Smith-Empie-Smith building (lower left) partially situated on the site of both the Anthony House and the United States Hotel, was a department store built in 1910. Through the second half of the 1900's, it housed a succession of businesses including Hayes' variety store and soda fountain, a mail order store, and Smile's Jewelry factory and gift shop-coffeehouse with entertainment.

On the south side of the Smith-Empie-Smith store was a row of three buildings (top center) which had, at various times, guestrooms, shops, a luncheonette, the Sharon Springs Post Office, and the telephone office and switchboard. In 1995, the three buildings on the left in the photo were demolished due to severe deterioration.

The original Chalybeate Temple was on Main Street. Pronounced as "ka-lib-e-at," this water contains iron, reputedly enough to turn one's teeth brown. The spring was first discovered and commercialized by Leroy Eldredge in the 1850's. It was bottled and sold as a curative for blood ailments such as anemia. The temple pictured here (right center) was built behind the Smith-Empie-Smith building in 1910.

A large swimming pool (lower right) was built several yards from the Chalybeate Temple and was in use until the Second World War. The pool was filled with fresh spring water from the hill behind it. In 1994, the Sharon Springs Citizens Council of the Arts assumed ownership of the property and started the development of a community park, including the restoration of the temple and pool house.
 
Erected 1999 by The Sharon Historic Society.
 
Location. 42° 47.684′ N, 74° 37.056′ W. Marker is in Sharon Springs, New York, in Schoharie County. Marker is on Main Street (New York State Route 10), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharon Springs NY 13459, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Historic Main Street Tour (about 700 feet away); Chestnut Street Schoolhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The White Sulphur Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Magnesia Temple and Baths (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lehman Block (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rockville (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharon Springs.
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 14, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on March 11, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.