Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Wilbur Owen Sypherd (1877-1955)
An 1896 graduate of then Delaware College, now the University, Professor Sypherd joined the English faculty in 1906 and eventually chaired the Department. He simultaneously served as College librarian from 1906-21 and zealously promoted the growth of the library.
Sypherd Resident Hall was constructed in 1958.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Location. 39° 40.911′ N, 75° 45.148′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green north of East Delaware Avenue (Delaware Route 273), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23 The Green, Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Hugh Rodney Sharp (1880-1968) George Abram Harter (1853-1943) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Professor Theodore Wolf (1850-1909) (about 300 feet away); Harry Fletcher Brown (1867-1944) (about 300 feet away); E. A. Trabant University Center (about 300 feet away); Robert W. Gore, B.ChE., 1959 (about 400 feet away); Elliott Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 15, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.