Newark in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Winifred J. Robinson (1867-1962)
Dr. Robinson visited every Delaware high school to attract students to the fledgling college. By September 1914, Warner Hall, originally known as Residence Hall, was completed and the first class of 48 women arrived. The second building, originally named Science Hall, was completed in 1914. In 1940, this building was renamed in Dean Robinson's honor.
Though small in stature, Dean Robinson was formidable in her support of the school, which she led for 24 years.
Erected by University of Delaware.
Location. 39° 40.59′ N, 75° 45.135′ W. Marker is in Newark, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on The Green north of East Park Place, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19716, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Castle Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Kent Hall Annie Jump Cannon (1863-1941) (within shouting distance of this marker); Sussex Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Magnolia Circle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Emalea Pusey Warner (1853-1948) (about 300 feet away); Squire Hall (about 400 feet away); Laurel Hall (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
Categories. • Education • Science & Medicine • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.