The Grand Detour Plow Factory
In 1843, John Deere and Leonard Andrus formed a partnership to "become co-partners together in the art...of blacksmithing, ploughmaking and all things thereto belonging..." In1846, a two-story plow factory was constructed on this site. That year they had ten employees and manufactured 400 plows. The partnership was dissolved in 1848 and John Deere went on to found a new company bearing his name in Moline, Illinois.
Leonard Andrus and partners continued to operate the Grand Detour Plow Factory. It burned down in 1857. It was rebuilt in 90 days. Sixty employees produced 50-60 plows per day until the company moved to nearby Dixon, Illinois, in 1869 to be near the railroad. The abandoned factory burned down in 1890. This wall is the last remnant of this factory and thus part of the early manufacturing heritage of Grand Detour.
Location. 41° 53.761′ N, 89° 24.786′ W. Marker is in Grand
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Erected to the memory of Leonard Andrus founder of the village of Grand Detour Illinois 1835 (a few steps from this marker); Grand Detour, Illinois (within shouting distance of this marker); Upper Ferry Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); La Sallier's Cabin (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lincoln in the Black Hawk War (approx. 4.9 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 5 miles away); Lincoln Supports Fremont for President (approx. 5.1 miles away); Berlin Wall Replica (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Detour.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 22, 2019. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 22, 2019. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.