Altamont in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Carriage Works
Altamont, New York
—The Museum in the Streets —
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. VanBenscoten & Warner rebuilt within a few months at the same location. After Jacob VanBenscoten's death in December 1888, the business continued as C. B. Warner & Co. James Keenholts & Dayton Whipple bought the carriage factory around 1900. By WW I, the business had changed and the art of carriage manufacture had become a sideline. In 1917, new owner Morton Makely overhauled the building into a garage, and it was "Makely's Garage” for the next 25 years. In 1942, Mr. Makely converted it into six apartments and it remains a residential building today.
Erected by Hudson River Valley Greenway. (Marker Number 14.)
Location. 42° 42.163′ N, 74° 2.009′ W. Marker is in Altamont, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Altamont NY 12009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lincoln Avenue School (here, next to this marker); The Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Enterprise Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire Department/Village Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Beebe Harness Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John’s Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Altamont (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home Front Cafe (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Altamont.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on March 26, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.