Saratoga Springs in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
High Rock in the 1800ís
In 1865 William McCaffery and Seymour Ainsworth purchased High Rock and constructed an ornate gothic pavilion crested with a golden eagle. In 1866 the structure was completed at a final cost of $6,000. The cost put them in debt forcing them to declare bankruptcy.
The spring and pavilion sold at auction for $16,000 in 1872 to a new company: The Saratoga High Rock Spring Company, owned by William Fargo. Fargo operated the spring and bottling plant until 1904 when he sold to the final private owners, Barnes and Henry. By 1911, High Rock Spring ceased to flow and remained dry until the re-drilling in May of 2015.
Location. 43° 5.217′ N, 73° 46.812′ W. Marker is in Saratoga Springs, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on High Rock Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saratoga Springs NY 12866, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Creation of the Park (here, next to this marker); The Story Starts Here (a few steps from this marker); Saratogaís First Resort for Travelers (within shouting distance of this marker); Highrock Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Bryan Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Pine Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Standard Time (approx. 0.4 miles away); New York State County Highway Superintendents Association (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saratoga Springs.
Also see . . . The Story Starts Here. first sign in the series (Submitted on March 30, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.)
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on March 30, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on March 30, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.