Tierra Verde in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Spanish-American War Cannons from Egmont Key
Funding for these guns was included in the appropriation for the "National Defense Act" of March 9, 1898. The installation was completed as a part of the armament of Fort Dade, on Egmont Key, on December 10, 1898. (Approximately 2 miles southwest of where you are now.) The guns were placed under the command of an artillery detachment sent from St. Francis Barracks in St. Augustine. Only a limited number of these particular weapons were purchased by our government and these two rifles, are believed to be the only remaining models still in existence.
These weapons, weighing 17 tons each, were breech-loaded, utilizing shell cases that were refillable with 13 1/4 pounds of powder. The projectiles weighed 100 pounds and had a maximum range of 10,000 yards (5.68 miles) reaching such a target
Caliber of Gun: 6" (152 mm)
Length of Bore: 20 feet
Rifling - Number of Grooves: 24
Muzzle Velocity: 2,154 feet per second
Penetration of Wrought Iron Plate: 10" at 2,000 meters
Firing: Electrical - (Batteries) or Mechanical
Fort Dade was deactivated in 1921 and these guns, which were intended to defend the southwest pass into Tampa Bay, were left to the mercy of the elements.
On April 12, 1980, Pinellas County recovered these cannons from Egmont Key. After two years of refurbishing, they were installed here on March 19, 1982.
Location. 27° 36.91′ N, 82° 44.133′ W. Marker is in Tierra Verde, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker can be reached from Anderson Boulevard (State Highway 679) 1˝ miles west of Pinellas Bayway South, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located within Fort De Soto Park, just north of the Gulf Fishing Pier parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3500 Pinellas Bayway South, Saint Petersburg FL 33715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 12-inch Seacoast Mortar: Model 1890-M1 (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish American War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort De Soto Batteries and Military Post Fort De Soto Quartermaster Storehouse Museum (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tierra Verde Mound (approx. 3.8 miles away); Zephaniah Phillips' Homestead Site (approx. 5 miles away); "Pass-A-Grille" (approx. 5.1 miles away); Passage Key (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tierra Verde.
Also see . . . QF 6-inch naval gun (Wikipedia). These guns were adopted in limited quantity by the United States Army Coast Artillery Corps in 1898 due to the outbreak of the Spanish–American War. It was feared that the Spanish fleet would bombard US ports, so the 6-inch guns were acquired to quickly arm some forts with modern quick-firing guns. They were designated as "6-inch Armstrong guns" and mounted on pedestals. (Submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, Spanish-American •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.