Tierra Verde in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort De Soto Quartermaster Storehouse Museum
You will find exhibits in the museum which chronicle the happenings of Fort De Soto on Mullet Key and Fort Dade on Egmont Key.
Fort De Soto Park employees constructed this building as closely as possible to the original. The interior furnishings and exhibits were made possible by the Pinellas County Board of County Commissioners and the Friends of Fort De Soto, Inc., through a grant from the Historical Museums Grants-in-Aid Program with assistance provided by the Bureau of Historical Museums, Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State, Secretary of
Location. 27° 36.823′ N, 82° 44.098′ W. Marker is in Tierra Verde, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker can be reached from Anderson Boulevard (State Highway 679) 1Ĺ miles west of Pinellas Bayway South, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is within Fort De Soto Park, located directly in front of the reconstructed Quartermaster Storehouse, near the southeast corner of the Gulf Fishing Pier parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3500 Pinellas Bayway South, Saint Petersburg FL 33715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spanish-American War Cannons from Egmont Key (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); 12-inch Seacoast Mortar: Model 1890-M1 (about 600 feet away); Spanish American War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Fort De Soto Batteries and Military Post (about 700 feet away); Tierra Verde Mound (approx. 3.9 miles away); Zephaniah Phillips' Homestead Site (approx. 5.1 miles away); "Pass-A-Grille" (approx. 5.2 miles away); Passage Key (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tierra Verde.
Also see . . .
1. Fort De Soto Park (Wikipedia). Construction of Fort De Soto began in November 1898 and completed in 1906. The Army post was officially a subpost of Fort Dade, which was constructed on Egmont Key. The post consisted of 29 buildings. The post's features included a large barracks, a hospital, a guardhouse, a blacksmith and carpenter shop, an administration building, and mess hall with kitchen, a bakery, and a storehouse. The site also had brick roads, concrete sidewalks, and a narrow-gauge railroad to aid in moving materials and supplies around the post. The post was active from 1898 to 1910. At least one company was present at Fort De Soto at all times and many times several units were present. (Submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort De Soto History - Quartermaster Museum. Using historical photographs, Army engineering condition reports, and government documents, the architect worked diligently to duplicate the size, scale, and massing of the original Quartermaster Storehouse building. Visitors see the postís quartermaster surrounded by supplies he would have issued to the soldiers. There are interpretive panels on the Spanish-American War and its impact on the Tampa Bay area. A porch scene provides a glimpse of daily life with a womanís dress, a deck of playing cards, a rattlesnake skin, and other items from the early 1900s period. The largest wall panel is a combination of three photographs showing the post buildings. (Submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Parks & Recreational Areas •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 8, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.