Goliad in Goliad County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Goliad
The early congregation had no building but worshipped with Presbyterians in the Jackson home. The first church building was built around 1852 on the corner of Jefferson and Pearl. In line with their interest in education, the church sold their building to the Paine Female Institute in exchange for use of the 2nd floor auditorium. After the institute was sold, the congregation acquired property and built a Carpenter Gothic style frame church at Pearl and Mechanic (Chilton) streets. On May 18, 1902, the church was completely destroyed when an F4 tornado struck.
Soon, the church was rebuilt using wood from the former building. Danish-born architect, Jules Leffland, designed the
Erected 2013 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17572.)
Location. 28° 40.102′ N, 97° 23.628′ W. Marker is in Goliad, Texas, in Goliad County. Marker is at the intersection of West Pearl Street (U.S. 59) and North Chilton Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Pearl Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 134 West Pearl Street, Goliad TX 77963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goliad Lodge No. 94 A.F. & A.M. (about 600 feet away); The Goliad Advance-Guard (about 600 feet away); Founding Site of First Baptist Church of Goliad (about 800 feet away); Goliad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goliad Tornado of 1902 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hanging Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. W. Fannin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goliad.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 11, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.