Cuero in DeWitt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Mark's Lutheran Church
Sunday School was organized Jan. 2, 1887. Ladies' Aid was formed in 1889 to raise funds for building. The first church building, erected in 1889, installed a copper ship's bell previously used on the Lutheran church in Indianola. First parsonage was built 1905; present church, 1939, with old copper bell as prayer bell; second parsonage, 1953; Fellowship Hall, 1959.
The Luther League was organized 1902; Brotherhood, 1918; Women's Missionary Society, 1921, merging with Ladies' Aid, 1955. Dr. L. C. Kleinecke was Sunday School superintendent 1889-1949. Ten pastors served from 1886 to 1972: J. Butterman, Cornelius Ziesman, John Hurtzig, Reinhold Schubert, William Utesch, A. A. Hahn (two terms), Frank F. Eberhardt, John W. Kern, John A. Jacobs, H. A. Hanson. St. Mark's has
Erected 1972 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5058.)
Location. 29° 5.598′ N, 97° 17.432′ W. Marker is in Cuero, Texas, in DeWitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North Esplanade Street (U.S. 87/183) and West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on North Esplanade Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 North Esplanade Street, Cuero TX 77954, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Knights of Pythias Hall, Jewel Lodge No. 103 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Proctor-Green House (about 500 feet away); Heaton-Breeden House (about 500 feet away); General August C. Buchel (about 700 feet away); The Edward Mügge House (about 700 feet away); Old Chisholm Trail Centennial Monument (about 700 feet away); De Witt County Courthouse (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cuero.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for St. Mark's Lutheran Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 49 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.