Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Saugerties in Ulster County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

1869 Lighthouse

 
 
1869 Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, April 22, 2019
1. 1869 Lighthouse Marker
Inscription.  
Situated 0.5 mi east.
Marks Hudson River shoals and
the entrance to Saugerties
Harbor on the Esopus Creek.
Replaced 1835 lighthouse

 
Erected 2015 by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 224.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation marker series.
 
Location. 42° 4.325′ N, 73° 56.203′ W. Marker is in Saugerties, New York, in Ulster County. Marker can be reached from Lighthouse Drive. Marker is in parking lot at the end of Lighthouse Drive beside entrance to park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saugerties NY 12477, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Schoonmaker Homestead (approx. 0.7 miles away); Kiersted House (approx. 0.8 miles away); In Honor (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sawyer's Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Post Tavern Site (approx. 0.9 miles away); Brick Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Glasco Turnpike (approx. 2.2 miles away); Hudson Valley (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Saugerties.
 
Categories.
Earlier Lighthouse Site image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, April 22, 2019
2. Earlier Lighthouse Site
Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
1869 Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, April 22, 2019
3. 1869 Lighthouse
1869 Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, April 22, 2019
4. 1869 Lighthouse Marker
In 1835, the U.S. Lighthouse Establishment erected a lighthouse at this site to mark Hudson River shoals and the entrance to Saugerties harbor on Esopus Creek. The existing lighthouse was built in 1869 to replace the earlier one damaged by ice floes. Automated in 1954, the building remained vacant for decades, resulting in significant deterioration. The structure was rescued from demolition and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. After extensive renovations, the Lighthouse was officially re-dedicated as an aid to navigation on August 9, 2009.

The Lighthouse is now owned and maintained by the Saugerties Lighthouse Conservancy, an independent not-for-profit organization dedicated to preserving this beacon as part of our enduring maritime heritage.
1869 Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Stoessel, April 22, 2019
5. 1869 Lighthouse Marker
 

More. Search the internet for 1869 Lighthouse.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 128 times since then. Last updated on April 23, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 22, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement