St. Louis, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Built in 1913
From 1917 to 1934 the building was the home of a Ford automobile dealership, Tevis Motor Co. During this period, the cars in the showroom of the building evolved from the Model T, "the car that put America on wheels," to, in 1932, the first popular priced car with a V-8 motor. Briefly in the 1930's a dealership for Auburn and Cord occupied the building. In 1929, the Cord became the first front wheel drive car in the world, to be produced in quantity. However the Cord is best remembered for its art deco styled, "coffin nosed" 1936 and 1937 models.
Erected by The Horseless Carriage Club of Missouri and Hilliker Corporation.
Location. 38° 38.144′ N, 90° 13.314′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Missouri. Marker is on Locust Street west of North Garrison Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3000 Locust Street, Saint Louis MO 63103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Nash Building (a few steps from this marker); Cole-Standard Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Locomobile Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stearns-Knight Building (about 300 feet away); Cadillac Building (about 400 feet away); Stutz Building (about 400 feet away); Dodge-Reo Building (about 500 feet away); Moon Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Louis.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
More. Search the internet for Ford Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.