Near Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fort Pulaski National Monument
Since 1958, the Cockspur Lighthouse has been cared for by the National Park Service as part of Fort Pulaski National Monument.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Location. 32° 1.633′ N, 80° 53.552′ W. Marker is near Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is on Fort Pulaski Road 0.9 miles north of U.S. 80, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at Fort Pulaski National Monument, along the walkway between the Visitor Center and the fort. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Freedom Ahead! (a few steps from this marker); Quest for Freedom (was a few steps from this marker but Guarding the Door (a few steps from this marker); History of Emancipation: (a few steps from this marker); Cisterns of the Construction Village (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waving Girl (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldier of Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); A Bustling Village (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tybee Island.
Also see . . .
1. Cockspur Island Lighthouse. Situated on an islet off the southeastern tip of Cockspur Island marking the South Channel of the Savannah River, the Cockspur Lighthouse is stands twelve miles east of the port of Savannah. The first brick tower, used as a daymark, was built on Cockspur Island between March 1837 and November 1839. Tragedy struck in 1854 when the structure was destroyed by a hurricane. The tower was rebuilt and enlarged on the same foundation the next year. On April 10, 1862, Union forces in eleven batteries stretching along the beach at Tybee Island, started a long range bombardment of Fort Pulaski. Thirty-six guns participated in a thirty-hour siege of (Submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Cockspur Island Lighthouse. The top of the lighthouse that covers and protects the light and lens, known as a cupola, was removed in 1995 after cracks were discovered. A reproduction now sits atop the Cockspur Island Lighthouse. The original is on display near the Fort Pulaski National Monument Visitor Center. (Submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Parks & Recreational Areas • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Sheltering Crown.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 85 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 20, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.