Titusville in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Atlantic Motor Oil
ATLANTIC REFINING COMPANY
1859: Charles Lockhart and William Frew came to this region to drill for oil on the south bank of the Allegheny across from the mouth of Oil Creek in Venango County. Subsequently they bought out the Tarr Farm and Albion wells, located along Oil Creek just outside of Titusville.
Late 1860''s: Lockhart, Frew & Co. established a crude oil buyers office on Centre Street in Oil City where they provided a market for the heavy production flowing from the early Oil Region. The producers, buyers, and speculators would gather in Lockhart, Frew & Co.''s Oil City office to buy, sell and gamble on crude stored in tanks or contracts for future delivery. The firm''s Oil City office became an unorganized oil exchange.
1870: Lockhart, Frew and Co. created the Atlantic Refining Co. in Philadelphia.
1874: Atlantic merged with Standard Oil.
1872: Dr. Albert Egbert and Franklin investors created the Eclipse Lubricating Oil Co. in Sugarcreek Township (Franklin), and built a refinery there.
1876: Eclipse purchased by Standard Oil and flourished.
1892: Realignment of Standard
1911: Breakup of Standard Oil, Standard marketed Atlantic brand gasoline and motor oil across Pennsylvania.
While the Franklin Eclipse refinery shut down in 1937, Atlantic gas stations remained popular throughout the state until acquired by Sunoco in 1988.
ATLANTIC PART II
The refining industry was grossly overbuilt and inefficient in the early 1870''s.
Recognizing the dire need to consolidate and rationalize the petroleum refining industry, Charles Lockhart (Atlantic Refining) recommended the "Pittsburgh Plan” for consolidation to the refiners of New York, Cleveland, and the Oil Region at a meeting in Titusville in May 1872.
This would lead to a National Refiners Association and the combining of the refining properties owned jointly by Charles Lockhart, William Frew and William Warden in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with that of John D. Rockefeller''s Standard Oil in October 1874.
This great merger of Pennsylvania refineries with Standard Oil included the Brilliant, the National, the Nonpareil, the Standard, the Lily,
Location. 41° 37.096′ N, 79° 40.271′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker is on Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville PA 16354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tidewater (here, next to this marker); Oil Creek (here, next to this marker); Ida Tarbell (here, next to this marker); Amalie (here, next to this marker); Standard Oil Company (here, next to this marker); Wolf's Head Oils and Lubes (here, next to this marker); John Heisman (a few steps from this marker); Valvoline (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Atlantic Motor Oil.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 71 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 21, 2019, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?