La Porte in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
La Porte's Original Library
In February, 1925 the La Porte Chamber of Commerce agreed to pay a librarian four dollars per month and the county would pay a small additional sum on an hourly basis. The library was now open for two days a week.
In 1928, Gladys Harrison, president of the PTA, instigated a drive to build a community library. She and the president of the Ladies Reading Club, Mrs. F. T. Baldwin, and Mrs. Wilbur Smith, the Chairman of the Red Cross, signed a note for material needed to build a 15 ft. x 28 ft. wood frame building. The grounds for the library were donated by the Presbyterian Church (now the Community Church). Construction with free labor was started in 1928, and the building dedicated and opened in February 1929.
In 1941, during WW II, a partition and another door were added so the Red Cross and Air Raid Warden
In 2002, the original 1928 library building was given to the La Porte Bay Area Heritage Society. It was moved to the grounds of the Heritage Society's Depot Museum, where it was restored and filled with books, newspapers, and magazines that were popular in the earlier days of La Porte's history. The old Library opened to the public again in 2010.
Erected by City of La Porte.
Location. 29° 39.209′ N, 95° 0.751′ W. Marker is in La Porte, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Bayshore Drive south of San Jacinto Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 Park Street, La Porte TX 77571, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The La Porte-Sylvan Beach Depot (a few steps from this marker); Sylvan Beach Pavilion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Mary's Seminary (approx. ¼ mile away); La Porte (approx. 0.7 miles away); Five Points - The Hub of the City (approx. 0.9 miles away); First City Hall and Jail (approx. one mile away); Besson Building (approx. one mile away); Gribble-Hofheinz House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Categories. • Education •
More. Search the internet for La Porte's Original Library.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on May 22, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2. submitted on May 19, 2019, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.