Grant Parish and Town of Colfax
Grant Parish was formed in 1869 from parts of Winn and Rapides parishes by Act 82 of the Louisiana legislature and named for President U.S. Grant.
Colfax, incorporated in 1878, was named for Vice President Schuyler Colfax. Once known as Calhoun's Landing, it was part of a 14,000 acre plantation owned by Meridith and Wm. Calhoun.
Erected by Grant Arts Council.
Location. 31° 31.169′ N, 92° 42.403′ W. Marker is in Colfax, Louisiana, in Grant Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Eighth Street (State Highway 158) and Main Street (Alexandria-Colfax Highway) (State Highway 8), on the right when traveling north on Eighth Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colfax LA 71417, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mary E. Graham High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Famous Burning Well of Colfax (approx. 0.4 miles away); Colfax Riot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Calhoun's Landing (approx. 1.1 miles away); Village of Dry Prong
Categories. • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Grant Parish and Town of Colfax.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2019, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2019.