Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Whitehead Plaza

Franklin & Marshall College, 1787

 

Lux Et Lex

 
Whitehead Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, July 7, 2019
1. Whitehead Plaza Marker
Inscription.  This plaza joins two buildings erected during the presidency of John Summers Stahr, class of 1867, the Gymnasium (1891) and the Science Building (1900-02). Dr. Stahr served his alma mater as professor of Natural Sciences for more than 50 years and as president from 1890-1909. He was also the founding President of the Pennsylvania Association of Colleges and Universities (1896-1910).

Following construction of Biesecker Gymnasium in 1924-25, the 1891 Gymnasium became Campus House, a student center that also contained college offices. In 1976, it was renamed a student center that also contained college offices. In 1976 it was renamed Distler House in honor of Theodore A. Distle, president of the College from 1941 to 1954. The Sciences Building, designed by C. Emlen Urban and erected on the site of Harbaugh Hall, the first dormitory on campus, was remodeled in 1929 and named in honor of former president Stahr. Stahr hall was again remodeled in the 1980s and in 1988 it was named in honor of benefactors Henry P. Stager, class of 1932, and Mary B. Stager. The College continues to honor Stahr by the designation of the most important space
Whitehead Plaza Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, July 7, 2019
2. Whitehead Plaza Marker
in the building as Stahr Auditorium.

This plaza honors members of the Whitehead Family who attended, and generously contributed to, Franklin & Marshall College:
Howard H. Whitehead '07, Simon P. Whitehead, Jr. '16
Howard M. Whitehead '39 and
S. Waye '53 and Linda Whitehead.

 
Erected by Franklin & Marshall College.
 
Location. 40° 2.759′ N, 76° 19.187′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker can be reached from West Frederick Street east of Race Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 637 College Avenue, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Klauder-Apple Walk (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank E. and Eva L. Manning Alumni Green (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin & Marshall College September 11 Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Benjamin Franklin (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Marshall (about 300 feet away); The Water Towers in Buchanan Park (about 300 feet away); The Richard Kneedler Sculpture Garden (about 400 feet away); In Memory of World War I Heroes (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
 
Categories.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
EducationNotable BuildingsScience & MedicineSports
 

More. Search the internet for Whitehead Plaza.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 9, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 47 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 9, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement