Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Belmont Lime kiln
The kiln on the left was a perpetual kiln, that could be burned continuously, while the other two would have been batch kilns that were emptied after each burn.
David M. Mayer, owner of Belmont Farm, hired Henry Harrison Landis to build the kilns in 1876. Mayer also purchased hickory wood from Landis to fuel the lime burning operation.
Erected by Shoppes at Belmont.
Location. 40° 3.97′ N, 76° 18.632′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on Mayer Place east of Belwyck Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Mayer Place, Lancaster PA 17601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Belmont Quarry (within shouting distance of this marker); Mayer Cemetery (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); David M. Mayer House (approx. ¼ mile away); Wheatland (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ross H. Sachs (approx. 1.3 miles away); S. Woodrow Sponaugle '37 (approx. 1.3 miles away); William J. Iannicelli '48 (approx. 1.3 miles away); John Durang (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Belmont Lime kiln.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 13, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.