Plymouth in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Plymouth United Savings Bank
This Classical Revival building, constructed of granite and limestone, was completed in 1920 as the new home of the Plymouth United Savings Bank. Established on May 13, 1890 as one of the first banks in the area, the first Board of Directors included several prominent names from Plymouth's early history, including: Bennett, Geer, Hough, Shearer, Starkweather, and Wilcox. Thirteen years later, the bank was consolidated with the First National Exchange Bank under the new name of the Plymouth United Savings Bank.
In 1913, the Board of Directors decided that if the bank was to continue to offer a high standard of service, it would need to find a permanent home. The bank purchased the Coleman Building on this corner and demolition soon began. A newspaper article from 1919 states: "The new building will be modern in all its construction and appointments, and will not only be a great credit to the progressive spirit of the bank, but to the village of Plymouth as well."
The original interior included a spacious lobby that glowed with electric chandeliers, marble floors, and cainstone that rose halfway up the wall. The offices were paneled in American walnut and the ladies' room was finished in ivory with mahogany furniture.
The classical columns that flank the entryway are topped by Ionic capitals. The Kellogg Park Historic District Study describes the structure as having an "enframed window wall which reflects an effort to give greater order to the facade composition of small and moderate-sized commercial buildings."
In 1952, Plymouth United Savings Bank merged with the National Bank of Detroit, which occupied the building until 1994, when it was sold to a private owner.
Erected 2013 by Plymouth Preservation Network.
Location. 42° 22.245′ N, 83° 28.156′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Penniman Avenue and South Main Street, on the right when traveling south on Penniman Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 South Main Street, Plymouth MI 48170, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Conner Building (a few steps from this marker); The Penniman Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Rose of Aberlone (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wilcox House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baker House (about 500 feet away); Plymouth (about 600 feet away); Gunsolly Carding Mill (approx. 0.9 miles away); Roadside Development (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Categories. • Architecture • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for The Plymouth United Savings Bank.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 15, 2019, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Far view of the marker and building. • Can you help?