Lexington in Fayette County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gillis Building 1889
Home to the Chemistry Department (1905) and the College of Law (1925). In 1939 it became the Student Health Service and Infirmary, complete with 40 beds and medical services for students. Beginning in 1962 this structure housed offices of Admissions (1962-86) and Registrar (1962-91).
Erected 1996 by University of Kentucky, Kentucky Historical Society. (Marker Number 2012.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 2.324′ N, 84° 30.322′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Kentucky, in Fayette County. Marker is on Administration Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 Administration Drive, Lexington KY 40506, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas D. Clark (within shouting distance of this marker); Barker Hall and Buell Armory (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); What's in a Name? (about 600 feet away); Margaret Isadora King / Margaret I. King Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Maxwell Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adolph F. Rupp (1901-77) (approx. ¼ mile away); Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
More about this marker. This marker was entirely funded by student donations as part of the University of Kentucky (UK) Student Development Council (SDC). Each year, by tradition, each graduating class of UK shares a piece of UK and Kentucky history through this marker program. The SDC has raised more than $110,000 for the marker program and student scholarships as part of the Live Blue Legacy Program.
Also see . . . Kentucky Historical Society on the Gillis Building. (Submitted on July 21, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
More. Search the internet for Gillis Building 1889.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 50 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 21, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.