Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mill No. 3
— Historic Sites of Industry in the Jones Falls Valley —
The village of Stone Hill, adjacent to Mill No. 3 was built around 1845 to house the growing workforce. Families housed in the cottage-like stone duplexes were bought in from surrounding rural areas by mill owners, who also built a company store, churches, a boarding house, and a school.
Mill No.3 was expanded in 1880 as demand for cotton duck increased. More housing followed, so much so that by 1888---when Hampden and Woodberry were annexed by Baltimore City—development had exceeded well beyond the original boundaries of the mill villages.
In the 1920’s what was once Hampden’ major employer moved much of the mills’ operation to the South. The company began selling off properties, and Stone Hill families in turn were able to buy their homes from their former employers.
Erected by Baltimore Heritage Organization.
Location. 39° 19.488′ N, 76° 37.818′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Mill Road. The marker is on Mill Road at the intersection of Darby Street in front of Mill Centre. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3000 Mill Road, Baltimore MD 21211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mill No. 1 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Huntingdon Avenue Viaduct Bridge Path (approx. 0.3 miles away); Evergreen on the Falls (approx. 0.3 miles away); Remington-Wyman World War II Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Whitehall Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory of Harvey J. Burns, Jr. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spring House or Dairy - c. 1812 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Mill No. 3.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 19, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 18, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 82 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 18, 2019, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.