Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Deposit in Cecil County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The River Town

Historic Port Deposit

 
 
The River Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 23, 2019
1. The River Town Marker
Inscription.  The history of Port Deposit begins in the 17th Century, when the Lords Baltimore began granting land patents for the upper reaches of the Chesapeake Bay above its confluence with the great Susquehanna River. By around 1800, timber rafts called arks were regularly carrying cargo down her to wharves constructed for the transfer of goods to trading ships plying the Bay. The area was known by a number of names until 1813, when the State of Maryland, recognizing the town's importance to trade, officially gave it the name Port Deposit.

The town's history of prosperity accounts for the numerous high [unreadable] and architecturally significant buildings, many of which incorporate the famous Port Deposit granite in their construction. This granite first quarried about 1820, was used in the Miranda E. Bunch Memorial Fountain (right in front of the Cecil National Bank Building (1995), as well as for the [unreadable].


 
Location. Marker has been reported unreadable. 39° 36.289′ N, 76° 6.909′ W. Marker is in Port Deposit, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker
The River Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, August 23, 2019
2. The River Town Marker
is on South Main Street (Route 222) just south of Jacob Tome Memorial Highway (Maryland Route 276), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 South Main Street, Port Deposit MD 21904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. On Alert (within shouting distance of this marker); John A. J. Creswell (within shouting distance of this marker); Gerry House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jacob Tome, Town Father (within shouting distance of this marker); Snow's Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Snow’s Battery (about 300 feet away); Adams Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Deposit.
 
More about this marker. Unfortunately the marker has significant weather damage
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 

More. Search the internet for The River Town.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 97 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2019, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement