Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Chattanooga's First School
The official act was passed by the Tennessee General Assembly on Dec. 20, 1839.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2A 76.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 35° 3.058′ N, 85° 18.381′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Lookout Street and East Fifth Street, on the right when traveling north on Lookout Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (here, next to this marker); Swaim's Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Bragg's Headquarters (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Headquarters of Brigadier General George D. Wagner (about 600 feet away); Point in the Line of Fort Sherman (approx. 0.2 miles away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chattanooga Daily Rebel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abby Crawford Milton (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,105 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2008, by R. E. Smith of Nashville, Tennessee. 3, 4. submitted on August 16, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.