Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, West Cornerstone

 
 
Original West Corner Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 31, 2007
1. Original West Corner Stone Marker
Inscription.  
Original West Corner Stone
District of Columbia 1791 - 1792
Dedication 1952
Rededication 1989
Falls Church Chapter, NSDAR

 
Erected 1989 by Falls Church Chapter, NSDAR.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Original Federal Boundary Stones marker series.
 
Location. 38° 53.599′ N, 77° 10.319′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on North Arizona Street when traveling north. Marker is in Andrew Ellicott Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2824 North Arizona Street, Arlington VA 22213, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Train Wrecks (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Falls Church Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Living in Fear (approx. half a mile away); Cherry Hill (approx. half a mile away); Falls Church Home Front (approx. half a mile away); Hangman's Tree (approx. 0.6 miles away); Crossman House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Virginia Training School (approx. 0.6 miles away).
 
Regarding Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, West Cornerstone.
Original West Corner Stone additional marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 2, 2015
2. Original West Corner Stone additional marker
Rededication November 2000 Falls Church Chapter D.A.R., Permission to mark granted by V.S.S. D.A.R. Va. State Society 1952
This stone marks the west corner of the original "ten mile square" of the District of Columbia. Alexandria County was carved out of Fairfax County to become part of the District in 1791 and was retroceded to Virginia in 1847, leaving the District with 69 square miles of its original 100.
 
Also see . . .
1. Boundary Stones of the District of Columbia. (Submitted on April 11, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Marking the Original Boundary of the District of Columbia. DAR Boundary Stones Committee, website. (Submitted on April 11, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 

3. Boundary Markers of the Original District of Columbia. (PDF) in Virginia. National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form. (Submitted on April 11, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
Original West Corner Stone additional marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 2, 2015
3. Original West Corner Stone additional marker
The Original West cornerstone of the District of Columbia by the Falls Church Chapter D.A.R.
Original West Corner Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 31, 2007
4. Original West Corner Stone Marker
Original West Corner Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 31, 2007
5. Original West Corner Stone Marker
Original West Corner Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 31, 2007
6. Original West Corner Stone
Original West Corner Stone image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, December 31, 2007
7. Original West Corner Stone
Original West Corner Stone<br>Original Inscriptions image. Click for full size.
National Register of Historic Places
8. Original West Corner Stone
Original Inscriptions
This diagram of the inscriptions on the West Boundary Stone appears in the National Register Form prepared by Barbara Hynak of the District V Markers Committee, Virginia Daughters of the Revolution.
Original West Corner Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 2, 2015
9. Original West Corner Stone Marker
The inscription of "Jurisdiction of the United States" can be seen on the corner of the stone.
Original West Corner Stone Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 2, 2015
10. Original West Corner Stone Marker
The small park that contains the marker seen from the street.
Andrew Ellicott Park is home to this boundary stone. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, September 2, 2015
11. Andrew Ellicott Park is home to this boundary stone.
 

More. Search the internet for Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, West Cornerstone.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 35 times this year. Last updated on October 11, 2019, by Roberto Bernate of Arlington, Virginia. Photos:   1. submitted on April 10, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on September 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 10, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   9, 10, 11. submitted on September 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement