Herndon in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Tracks Into History
The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad
A group of Northern Virginia businessmen formed the Alexandria , Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad, with the first train reaching Leesburg from Alexandria on May 17, 1860. Their goal was to reach the farmlands and coalfields and recapture the trade that was slipping away.
Because of financial problems, this goal was never achieved and the railroad terminated in the town of Bluemont, Virginia. To survive, the rail line picked up business wherever possible. The railroad hauled farm products from the Fairfax and Loudoun country side into Washington, carried mail for the Federal government, provided freight service to and from the many towns and communities springing up along the line and furnished passenger service for the many commuters working in Washington. A specialized service promoted by the railroad was as an excursion line for vacationers wanting to reach cooler temperatures and resorts in the Loudoun Valley.
March 20, 1847 - Incorporated as the Alexandria & Harper's Ferry Railroad.
March 15, 1853 - The corporate name changes to the Alexandria, Loudoun & Hampshire Railroad Company.
February 25, 1855 - Construction begins near Alexandria.
May 17, 1860 - First train from Alexandria to Leesburg.
1861 to 1865 - Railroad construction, and some service, is interrupted by the Civil War.
June 1, 1867 - Train service is restored from Alexandria to Leesburg.
March 29, 1870 - Name is changed to Washington & Ohio Railroad Company.
April 1, 1874 - Railroad completed to Purcellville.
The company passes quickly through a number of ownerships starting January 31, 1882, when it becomes the Washington & Western Railroad. Then on May 9, 1883 it becomes the Washington, Ohio & Western Railroad. On October 30, 1886, the line is leased by the Richmond & Danville Railroad. Finally, the railroad becomes the Bluemont Branch when purchased by the Southern Railway Company on June 28, 1894.
July 1, 1912 - The railroad becomes the Washington & Old Dominion Railway Company.
Late 1912 - The railroad converts from steam to electric power.
April 16, 1936 - The name changes for a final time when it becomes the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Company.
February 1939 - Railroad service is discontinued west of Purcellville.
April 1941 - Passenger service is discontinued but starts up again a year later as result of World War II. All passenger service is ended May 31, 1951.
Early 1940s - Railroad changes from electric to diesel power.
August 27, 1968 - W&OD freight service ends and the line is abandoned. Virginia Electric and Power Company (Virginia Power) immediately buys the property to protect its existing easements and for future expansion.
1978 - After six years of negotiations with Virginia Power, the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority purchases the right-of-way from Shirlington to Purcellville for use as a multi-use trail which is completed in 1988.
Erected by Washington and Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park and The Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 38° 58.226′ N, 77° 23.157′ W. Marker is in Herndon, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Station Street north of Elden Street (Virginia Route 228). Touch for map. This and two other markers face the Washington and Old Dominion Trail, which crosses Station Street at the markers. The old railroad station is across the street. A free municipal parking lot opposite the old train station—now a visitor's center for the Town of Herndon—is a few steps from the markers and the trail. Marker is in this post office area: Herndon VA 20170, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mosby’s Herndon Station Raid (here, next to this marker); Herndon Station (here, next to this marker); This is W&OD Trail: Herndon! (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Those Lost in World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Acetylene Gas Generating Station (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Herndon.
More about this marker. This is one in a set of standard markers alongside the W&OD Trail. The marker features three pictures: A steam engine at Herndon Station, July 1910; An electric
Also see . . . Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968. Book by Herbert Harwood available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2006. This page has been viewed 2,508 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 11, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 10, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.