Hinesville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Bacon-Fraser House
The architecture is 'plantation plain style' and its workmanship reflects the work of the best craftsmen of the day. The front and two-story section remains virtually unchanged. However, the two shed rooms and kitchen to the rear were removed and additional rooms added in 1923. The 1923 section was removed in 1979-1980 and replaced by shed rooms, porch, dining room and kitchen on the original foundation in the architectural style and interior design of the 1839 era.
A detachment of Sherman’s army assaulted the plantation in December in 1864, pillaging, looting and burning. The house was spared the torch, but the barn and all outbuildings were burned by the Northern troops.
Erected 1996 by Liberty County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 50.844′ N, 81° 35.627′ W. Marker is in Hinesville, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on East Court Street (State Highway 38) 0.1 miles east of North Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty County (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Liberty County Confederate Monument (about 500 feet away); Bradwell Park (about 600 feet away); Fort Morris Cannon (about 700 feet away); Hinesville Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charlton Hines House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Skirmish at Hinesville (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hinesville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,937 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on April 12, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 4. submitted on February 3, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.