Niles in Berrien County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wesley United Methodist Church
The cornerstone of this handsome Italianate style church was laid in 1862. The pastor at that time was the Reverend William Sprague, who organized the first Methodist class in Niles in 1832. Sprague was presiding elder of the district for four years, a member of the U.S. Congress and a state Indian agent. The church’s architect is believed to have been Rufus Rose of Chicago, who designed several other notable structures in Niles. Construction was under the general supervision of Cass Chapman of Niles. Measuring forty-six by seventy feet, the original edifice had two corner towers. The square pyramid-roofed tower remains, but the mansard
Erected 1982 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0734.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 41° 49.736′ N, 86° 15.36′ W. Marker is in Niles, Michigan, in Berrien County. Marker is on Cedar Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 Cedar Street, Niles MI 49120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Four Flags Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trinity Church (about 600 feet away); The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin (about 700 feet away); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (about 700 feet away); PA-WA-TING (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Niles.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,003 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 10, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.