Lambertville in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mary E. Sheridan Park
The 8 inch cannon was converted from an 11 inch cannon during the early part of the war and saw action aboard wooden first-class screw sloop, USS Richmond, in Battles of Vicksburg, Mobile, and New Orleans. Barrel is 14 feet long, and gun and carriage weigh 24,800 pounds.
Pyramid of mortar shells, fourteen 15 inch shells, weighing 480 pounds each, was placed here in 1908, as was gun and carriage.
The 2-story stone building (circa 1840) served as Lamberville's jail until 1966. Gazebo was constructed in early 1970's.
Samuel C. Worman, Local Businessman, donated funds for memorial fountain, erected in 1917, just outside the park.
Erected by Multiple Orgainizations.
Location. 40° 22.102′ N, 74° 56.689′ W. Marker is in Lambertville, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lambertville NJ 08530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lambertville City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Centenary Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Coryell’s Grave (about 600 feet away); Marshall House (approx. 0.2 miles away); PFC. Charles L. Danberry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lambertville Railroad (approx. ¼ mile away); Lambertville Railroad Shops (approx. 0.4 miles away); Solebury National Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away in Pennsylvania). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lambertville.
1. 11-inch Cannon Sleeved to 8-inch Cannon
The cannon mentioned on the marker and shown in the lower photo was indeed originally cast as an 11-inch Dahlgren Shell Gun, bearing the registry number 72. It was made by Builders Foundry in Providence, Rhode Island in 1863, with a weight of 15,660 pounds. However, contrary to what the marker states, it was not rifled and converted during the war. Instead it was modified in 1877 by inserting a sleeve with rifling down the original bore. This work was done by South Boston Foundry in Massachusetts. The converted gun was given the registry number 32, and then weighed 17,250 pounds.
— Submitted March 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Military • Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 8, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.