Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battle of Kolb's Farm
June 22, 1864
Hascall placed 3 brigades on high ground S. E. of the road. Skirmishers, supported by the 14th Ky., [US] seized a ridge E. of the Valentine Kolb house and stubbornly held it until forced to withdraw.
The left of Stevensonís Div., Confederate, after dislodging 14th Ky., advanced toward Hascallís line but were driven back.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 54.342′ N, 84° 36.262′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Macland Road (Georgia Route 360) near Powder Springs Road (Georgia Route 360), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is in the parking lot of the Mount Zion Baptist Church, overlooking the intersection. This is the point where Georgia Highway 360 changes from Powder Springs Road to Macland Road. (Powder Springs Road continues on to Powder Springs.). Marker is in this post office area: Marietta GA 30064, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wm. G. McAdoo's Birthplace (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kolb House (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolb's Farm (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Kolb's Farm - June 22, 1864 (approx. half a mile away); Historic Dickson House (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Kolbís Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); Cherokee Land Lottery (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,077 times since then and 21 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 8, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?