Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Horton House Historical Site
—Jekyll Island —
Horton was labeled an " adventurer" when he decided to travel to the new colony and left a wife and two young sons in England. His family did not join him in Georgia until he was settled and established on his property. It was nearly five years before Horton was able to return to England and bring his family back to his farm on Jekyll Island.
In 1736 when William Horton first arrived on Jekyll Island it could not have been more isolated. He was the first European to occupy this land and was responsible for the first sustainable farm. His closest neighbors were at the settlement Frederica on the island to the north, St. Simons Island. This was Horton's connection to civilization. The settlement was also home to Fort Frederica, the protection for settlers from Spanish and Native American attacks. At this fort Horton became a Major in the British
Erected by Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Inc. , Jekyll Island Museum.
Location. 31° 6.123′ N, 81° 24.872′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. near Major Horton Dr. and house ruins. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Horton House (a few steps from this marker); Horton House Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Poulain DuBignon and DuBignon Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Tabby (within shouting distance of this marker); Major William Horton (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Le Sieur Christophe Anne Poulain Du Bignon (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Horton House Historical Site (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding Horton House Historical Site. Major Horton cleared fields here for cultivation of crops which
Major Horton was a trusted officer chosen by James Oglethorpe for
important missions. Upon Oglethorpe`s final return to England in 1743, Major Horton succeeded him as commander of the military forces of the Colony of Georgia.
Also see . . . Fort Frederica, National Park Service. established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia from the Spanish in Florida. Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Georgia to support this endeavor. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 890 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.