Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Site of Territorial Courthouse
Erected by The Historic Preservation Fund and The City of Prescott.
Location. 34° 32.503′ N, 112° 28.135′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gurley Street (Arizona Route 89) and South Cortez Street, on the left when traveling west on East Gurley Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 South Cortez Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bashford Block (a few steps from this marker); The Bank of Arizona and the Electric Buildings Knights of Pythias Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Prescott National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Solon Hannibal Borglum America's First Cowboy Sculptor (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza Bandstand (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Goldwater Brothers Mercantile (about 400 feet away); Bashford Burmister Company (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Also see . . . 19th Century "Old West Law" -. Yavapai County constructed a two-story building on Cortez Street in 1867 to accommodate the sheriff's office, the jail and the county courtroom, which also doubled as a community-meeting hall. In 1882, a new courthouse was constructed on its present site on the plaza. This courthouse was razed in 1915 to make room for the courthouse which stands to this day on that site. (Submitted on April 21, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,374 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. 2. submitted on June 27, 2009, by Joseph Cavinato of Fountain Hills, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.