Middlebury in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
position its meeting house occupies, six
miles from three older neighbors, Waterbury,
Southbury and Woodbury.
Winter ecclesiastical privileges, permitting
local church services, were established for
West Farms, originally the southwest portion
of Waterbury, in 1768. In 1790, West Farms
and adjoining portions of Woodbury and South-
bury became a distinct ecclesiastical society
under the name of Middlebury. The first
house in the area was erected by Isaac
Bronson before 1702 on Breakneck Hill.
During the Revolutionary War, French General
Rochambeau and his troops established a camp
in the Breakneck Hill section on their march
to the final campaign at Yorktown, Virginia.
First petition to the General Assembly for
independence of Middlebury from Waterbury was
made in 1800. After much opposition
incorporation was granted in October, 1807.
the Middlebury Historical Society, Inc.
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1976 by Town of Middlebury, Middlebury Historical Society, Inc., Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Located in front of Middlebury Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1212 Whittemore Road, Middlebury CT 06762, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Middlebury Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Middlebury Blacksmith Shop (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bissel's Store, Middlebury Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Julius and Augusta Bronson Farm (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rochambeau Route 1781 – 82 (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Trolley (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Middlebury Fire House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Lake Quassapaug Station (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middlebury.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Government • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,310 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.