Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lorton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lewis Chapel / Cranford Memorial Methodist Church

 
 
Lewis Chapel / Cranford Memorial Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 25, 2006
1. Lewis Chapel / Cranford Memorial Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. This church is a combination of several structures built on the site of the first Pohick Church (1730–1774), making this one of the earliest sites of a religious institution in Fairfax County. Lewis Chapel, named after a Methodist circuit rider, was built in 1857 and moved from a site nearby in 1952. Cranford Memorial, the main portion of the complex, was constructed in 1900.
 
Erected 1980 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number E-71.)
 
Location. 38° 41.254′ N, 77° 12.528′ W. Marker is in Lorton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Gunston Road (Virginia Route 242) and Old Colchester Road (County Route 611), on the left when traveling east on Gunston Road. Touch for map. Marker is half a mile east of Richmond Highway (U.S. 1). Marker is in this post office area: Lorton VA 22079, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Attack (here, next to this marker); Gunston Hall (here, next to this marker); Joseph W. Jordan (approx. 0.7 miles away); Noman Monroe Cole, Jr. (approx. one
Gunston Hall, Lewis Chapel, and Indian Attack Markers image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 25, 2006
2. Gunston Hall, Lewis Chapel, and Indian Attack Markers
mile away); Deputy Sheriff George A. Malcolm (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorton.
 
More about this marker. This marker reuses the marker number (E71) titled “Alexandria” that for many decades marked the south entrance of Alexandria on U.S. 1. That marker is no longer there.
 
Regarding Lewis Chapel / Cranford Memorial Methodist Church. Cranford United Methodist Church is at 9912 Old Colchester Road, about 0.3 miles northeast of the marker.
 
Categories. Churches & ReligionColonial Era
 
Cranford Memorial Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, March 26, 2006
3. Cranford Memorial Methodist Church
First Pohick Church marker<br> at Cranford Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 21, 2012
4. First Pohick Church marker
at Cranford Methodist Church

Site of the First Pohick Church
1730-1774
Lewis Chapel Marker<br>at Cranford Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 21, 2012
5. Lewis Chapel Marker
at Cranford Methodist Church

The Circuit Rider, with
His Lord, His Bible, and His Horse,
Brought Methodism to This Area In 1830.
Lewis Chapel
The First Methodist Church
Stood on this site from 1857 - 1953
Cranford Methodist Church<br>Sign image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 21, 2012
6. Cranford Methodist Church
Sign

Cranford
United Methodist
Church
Sunday Schoo: 9:45 AM
Worship: 11:00 AM
All Things New: Cana United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, April 21, 2012
7. All Things New: Cana United Methodist Church
Korean church sign at Cranford Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,781 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on March 26, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 12, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement