Port Jervis in Orange County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
burned by Brantís raiders,
July 20, 1779. Rebuilt,
1793. Headquarters of
John B. Jervis, 1826 – 28.
Erected 1936 by New York State Education Department.
Location. 41° 22.706′ N, 74° 42.099′ W. Marker is in Port Jervis, New York, in Orange County. Marker is on W Main Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Jervis NY 12771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Burned by Indians (a few steps from this marker); Fort Decker (a few steps from this marker); Tow Path (approx. 0.2 miles away); Erie Turntable (approx. 0.4 miles away); Toll House (approx. half a mile away); Port Jervis (approx. half a mile away); Banach Olympic Circle (approx. half a mile away); Delaware River (approx. half a mile away in Pennsylvania). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Jervis.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers that follow the July 1779 raid made by Joseph Brantís Mohawks and Tories and the subsequent Battle of Minisink.
Also see . . . The Battle of Minisink (Submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 842 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.