Marietta in Washington County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Northwest Ordinance, 1787 / The Ohio Company Purchase
The Northwest Ordinance, 1787
Following the establishment of the public land system in 1785, the Continental Congress appointed a committee, chaired by James Monroe, to establish government in the new territory north and west of the Ohio River. Drafted prior to the Constitution of the United States, the Ordinance of 1787 provided the mechanism by which prospective states would enter the Union on an equal basis with existing states. It also prohibited slavery in the new territory and pledged good faith in dealing with Native American tribes. According to this plan, the Northwest Territory became the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota in due course.
The Ohio Company Purchase
In March 1786, eleven men met in the Bunch of Grapes Tavern near Boston, Massachusetts, and formed the Ohio Company of Associates. Led by the Reverend Manasseh Cutler and General Rufus Putnam, the Ohio Company influenced the final form of the Northwest Ordinance while establishing the basis for Ohio's first settlement and its eventual statehood. The Ohio Company's original purchase comprised 1.5 million acres bounded by the Seven Ranges on the east and the Ohio River on the south. Campus Martius, its fortified seat, was established here in April 1788; in July of
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Marietta Chapter NSDAR, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-84.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 25.311′ N, 81° 27.689′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Ohio, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Second Street and St. Clair Street, on the right when traveling south on Second Street. Touch for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Campus Martius Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Marietta OH 45750, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The American Union Lodge No. 1 Free and Accepted Masons (within shouting distance of this marker); Campus Martius (within shouting distance of this marker); Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Merydith House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steam Towboat "W. P. Snyder, Jr." (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Families of the Ohio Company Mighty River / Learning the River (about 700 feet away); River Town / Sails and Steam / The Highway West (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
Categories. • Government • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 3,102 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 8, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.