Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1872 surviving veterans of that war gathered in Monroe from Ohio and Kentucky. They headed a colorful civic pageant which halted solemnly at this spot while the old soldiers paid military honor to their fallen comrades. General George A. Custer, a member of the local welcoming committee, read the roll call of the veterans.
In 1904-05 the ladies of the Monroe Civic improvement Society induced city officials to establish the old burial ground as a park. Appropriation was made by the State of Michigan for the monument which stands as a permanent tribute to Kentucky and her militiamen.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 54.648′ N, 83° 24.146′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Monroe Street and West 7th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Monroe Street. Touch for map. This historical marker is located along the west side of South Monroe Street, in front of a Memorial stone that is intended to be Michigan's tribute to Kentucky's citizen-soldiers who fought, and in many cases died, in the River Raisin battles.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Michigan's Tribute to Kentucky (a few steps from this marker); Historical Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monroe's Soldiers (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Monroe County Since 1817 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Whipping Post (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
Also see . . . Battle of Frenchtown. This web link is published and made available by "Friends of the River Raisin Battlefield." (Submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,067 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 22, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.