Carson City, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Charles H. Jones, a French-schooled designer, constructed the residence for Mathias Rinckel using European craftsmen. The mansion is constructed of pressed brick resting upon sandstone ashlar foundation. The sandstone originated from the Nevada State Prison quarry. The brick came from Carson Valley and knot-free lumber was obtained from the pine forests of Lake Tahoe.
Rinckel, a German immigrant and pioneer Carson City merchant, accumulated a degree of wealth in the gold fields in the Feather River district of California from 1849 to 1859. He increased his fortune in mining at Virginia City during that city’s infancy. In 1863, Rinckel settled in Carson City, where he engaged in livestock and butchering. As a successful merchant, he supplied mining and timber districts surrounding Eagle Valley with meat.
Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation & Archeology. (Marker Number 252.)
Location. 39° 9.847′ N, 119° 46.076′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 North Curry Street, Carson City NV 89703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Olcovich-Meyers House (a few steps from this marker); Carson City (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nevada’s Capitol (about 500 feet away); Methodist Church of Carson City (about 500 feet away); Historic Fraternal Site of Carson City (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Carson City (about 600 feet away); St. Charles Hotel (about 600 feet away); Kit Carson 1843 – 44 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carson City.
Regarding Rinckel Mansion. The Rinckel Mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1975.
The building is now the site of the Donald W. Reynolds Press Center
Also see . . .
1. The Rinckel Mansion. The Rinckel Mansion was built by butcher Mathias Rinckel from 1875 to 1876. (Submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. The Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. Upon Mr. Reynolds’ death in 1993, the Donrey Media Group was sold, resulting (Submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of the markers on its website for each individual marker and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on October 24, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,324 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 30, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.