San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
In Memory of Adolph Sutro
This commemorative plaque placed by the Native Sons of the Golden West
April 29, 1940
Erected 1940 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 37° 46.78′ N, 122° 30.592′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Marker is on Point Lobos Avenue west of 48th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: San Francisco CA 94121, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peoples of the Coast - Why did they live here? (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heavy Cruiser USS San Francisco (CA38) This Memorial to Rear Admiral Daniel J. Callaghan (approx. ¼ mile away); The Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (approx. ¼ mile away); The New Cliff House (approx. ¼ mile away); FDR's Salute (approx. ¼ mile away); Schooner Parallel “Blown to Atoms” 1887 (approx. ¼ mile away); Sutros Steam Train (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted on the western (right) lion's pedestal at the Point Lobos Avenue entrance of Sutro Heights Park.
Regarding In Memory of Adolph Sutro.
Adolf Sutro made his fortune not as miner, nor as a mine owner, but as a mining engineer. He incorporated the Sutro Tunnel Company in 1869 and subsequently designed and constructed the Sutro Tunnel, a drainage and ventilation system for the Comstock Lode silver mines. Sutro was able to charge mine owners large sums for access to the drainage, thus allowing for a greater extension of the mines, and also improving their safety.
The NPS interpretive sign, visible behind the lions in the photo above, provides a short history of Sutro Heights, reading in part: The two lions rest here still, but the gothic gate is long gone. This was the estate of Adolf Sutro - millionaire, mining engineer, and Mayor of San Francisco. In the 1880's he transformed windswept sand dunes into a Victorian estate with formal gardens, groves of exotic trees, and hundreds of European statues. He opened the grounds to the public in 1885....After Sutro's death in 1898, the grounds slowly declined. Trees began to die, and statues were toppled or vandalized. The buildings were finally demolished in 1939.
Also see . . .
1. Sutro District. The NPS web page providing a history of Sutro Heights. Includes a number of historic photos, as well as information on Sutro Baths and the Cliff House, as well. (Submitted on August 1, 2009.)
2. Adolf Sutro. The NPS biography of Adolf Sutro, includes pictures and links to histories of sites linked to Sutro, such as Sutro Baths and the Cliff House. (Submitted on August 1, 2009.)
3. The Significance and History of the Adolf Sutro Historic District. Excerpts from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared in 2000, providing a more in depth history of the area. (Submitted on August 1, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,541 times since then and 33 times this year. This page was the Marker of the Week October 18, 2015. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 3. submitted on June 18, 2017, by James King of San Miguel, California. 4, 5. submitted on July 31, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 6, 7. submitted on August 1, 2009, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.