Ottawa in Putnam County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Native Americans in Ottawa
Ohio Historical Marker
The Ottawa, or "Tawa" Indians had inhabited the Maumee Valley since the middle of the 1700s. By the 1790s, Ottawa settlements included villages along the Blanchard River at the present-day Village of Ottawa. During the War of 1812, Colonel James Findlay destroyed these villages because the Ottawa aided British forces. In 1817, the United States government established a reserve for the Ottawa in exchange for their lands in Northwest Ohio. The reserve encompassed a five-mile square area; its center was the intersection of the Blanchard River and an Indian trace near what is now Old State Route 65.
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, First Bank of Ottawa, Sky Bank, Union Bank, The Putnam County Genealogical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-69.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 1.143′ N, 84° 2.954′ W. Marker is in Ottawa, Ohio, in Putnam County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 224) just west of South Walnut Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ottawa OH 45875, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Putnam County World War Memorial Clock (approx. 0.2 miles away); Putnam County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frances Rappaport Horwich (approx. 0.7 miles away); Crawfis College (approx. 4.8 miles away); Columbus Grove Municipal Pool (approx. 6˝ miles away); Pandora Veterans Memorial (approx. 6˝ miles away); Columbus Grove Veterans Memorial Flagpole Oglevie Post 64 G.A.R. Civil War Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ottawa.
Categories. • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,069 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.