Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Site of Fort Findlay
Early in the War of 1812, Gen. Wm. Hull, commander of Ohio troops, ordered Col.. James Findlay to open a road from Ft. McArthur on the Scioto River to Blanchardís Fork. Under Findlay, a stockade 50 yards square, with a blockhouse at each corner was erected here and named in his honor. The fort was used as a supply depot.
In 1812, Gen. Hull and his troops passed through here toward enemy camps near Detroit. Ft. Findlay was left garrisoned, Capt. Arthur Thomas in command, until abandoned at the end of the war. After 1815, the fort was occupied by a few Wyandot Indian families. Pioneers laid out the village of Findlay in 1821, near the site of the fort here on the Blanchard River. The river was named after Jean Jacques Blanchard, a French tailor, who settled in this area in the 1770s.
Erected 1978 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 2.463′ N, 83° 39.029′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on S. Main Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial Flagpole ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 ( about 600 feet away); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 ( about 800 feet away); Hancock County Veterans Memorial ( about 800 feet away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients ( about 800 feet away); Hancock County Courthouse ( about 800 feet away); The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era ( approx. 0.2 miles away); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County ( approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Findlay.
Regarding Site of Fort Findlay. Shortly before the start of the War of 1812 the American General William Hull, the commander of the American fortification on Michigan's border with Canada (located in Detroit), believed that unless his position was reinforced with additional troops, that his command would be in serious trouble once the war finally got under way. So he took it upon himself to travel down to southern Ohio in order to raise those additional troops.
As soon as General Hull had raised an army of soldiers, he began
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Hull's Road. This is a link to information provided by Ohio History Central, an online encyclopedia of Ohio History. (Submitted on August 13, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
1. Regarding Fort Findlay
In his book "Twentieth Century History of Findlay and Hancock County Ohio, and Representative Citizens" (published 1910, the author, J.A. Kimmell states the
The Fort was garrisoned by a company under the command of Captain Arthur Thomas, who lived at King's Creek, three miles from Urbana. So far as known, there were no battles fought at Findlay, and the garrison duty was, no doubt monotonous and irksome.
After the close of the war, Capt. Thomas' company returned to Urbana. On their journey home, the Captain and his son lost their horses, and separated from the rest of the company in search of them. They encamped at the Big Spring, near Solomonstown, about five miles from Bellefontaine, and the next morning were found murdered and scalped. Their bodies were taken to Urbana by a deputation of citizens."
— Submitted May 27, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 30, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,472 times since then and 231 times this year. Last updated on August 12, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. Photos: 1. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 2. submitted on May 25, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 3. submitted on May 1, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4, 5. submitted on May 2, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.