Lewisburg in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Site of Fort Savannah, built in 1755. Here at Camp Union Gen. Andrew Lewis mustered troops which participated in the Battle of Point Pleasant 1774. Lewisburg was incorporated in October, 1782, by the Virginia Assembly.
Presbyterian Church established 1783. Stone building erected, 1796, still used for worship. Lewisburg Academy founded, 1812, was precursor of Greenbrier Military School and of Greenbrier College. Library-Museum built, 1834.
Erected 1963 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Location. 37° 48.224′ N, 80° 26.894′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is on W. Washington St. (U.S. 60). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisburg WV 24901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Cemetery / The Civil War (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Lewisburg (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carnegie Hall (about 600 feet away); Rev. John McElhenney, D.D. (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Battle of Lewisburg Greenbrier County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tribute to Men of the Mountains (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenbrier County War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Education • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,116 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 17, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?