Elberton in Elbert County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Christmas Tree House
On October 30 1858, George Loehr purchased a lot measuring four acres on present day Heard Street, known then as the road from Petersburg to Elberton, and subsequently constructed his home upon it. Local historian Herbert Wilcox relates, in Georgia Scribe (1974), that Loehr and his wife, the former Henretta Leopole, set up their first Christmas tree in their new home in honor of the birth of their first child. The lighted candles probably were used to continue the German Christian practice of symbolizing Christ as the Light of the World. During their years in the house, Loehr,a skilled cabinet maker, carved wooden toys to put under the tree and placed a small picket fence around the tree to protect the children from the candle flames.
In later years, Mrs.J.F.Ross and Mrs.S.A.Gaines, two of the Loehrs' grandchildren, reminisced about the historic tradition their grandparents had established. Mrs.Ross, whose mother was the youngest child of the three girls and three boys, recited
According to a 1951 article in The Elberton Star, the Loehr family sold the Christmas Tree House to McAlpin Arnold and moved to Dewey Rose, around 1875. An Elbert County Historical Society brochure (1977) notes that the house was moved from another part of the lot to this spot by Arnold and that T.O. Tabor, Jr., who lived there at a later date, added a half story upstairs, After serving as the home of the Elbert County Historical Society for a short period in the late 20th century, the house is now owned by David Powell and has been the site of his Landmark Realty Company since 1990.
Location. 34° 6.461′ N, 82° 51.688′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elberton GA 30635, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Dead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elberton Granite Bicentennial Memorial Fountain (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Seaboard Airline Depot (approx. 0.4 miles away); In Memory (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elbert County (approx. 0.4 miles away); In the Year 1803 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old Post Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Elbert County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elberton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 956 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.