Manassas, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
—A Spirit of Optimism —
After a devastating 1905 fire, optimistic Manassas citizens rebuilt the town again. The town council required that buildings erected in the central business district be constructed of brick, stone, or concrete. Most of the prominent Renaissance Revival and Colonial Revival commercial buildings located in Old Town were built around 1906, including the Old Post Office (9113 Center St.), the Conner Building (9102 Center St.), and the Hibbs & Gidding store (9129 Center St.).
Location. 38° 45.08′ N, 77° 28.3′ W. Marker is in Manassas, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Center Street (Virginia Highway 28), on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manassas VA 20110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Defenses of Manassas (within Manassas Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Wartime Manassas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Wartime Manassas (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Wartime Manassas (about 300 feet away); Steam Locomotive Tire Fire Alarm – 1909 (about 300 feet away); Harry J. Parrish (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 690 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.