Lancaster in Lancaster County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lancaster County Confederate Monument
Worthy, the Confederate soldier to be hallowed and held in tender remembrance
Worthy, the fadeless fame which Lancaster's soldiers won in defending the honor of the South, the rights of the States, the liberties of the people, the sentiments of the South, the principles of the Union, as they were handed down to them by the fathers of our common country.
No cause nobler champions
No people bolder defenders
No principle truer martyrs.
Erected by the women of Lancaster County A.D. 1909
under the auspices of the Lancaster Chapter U.D.C.
he will measure praise and blame;
and the South will stand the verdict
and will stand it without shame."
Erected 1909 by Lancaster Chapter-United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 34° 43.212′ N, 80° 46.248′ W. Marker is in Lancaster Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lancaster SC 29720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson (a few steps from this marker); Thomas H Davis (within shouting distance of this marker); Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Leroy Springs House (about 700 feet away); The Springs Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jail / Robert Mills (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lancaster (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,368 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 30, 2009, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.