Oxford in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
William Holmes McGuﬀey House
William Holmes McGuffey (1800-1873) was a Miami University faculty member in 1836 when he compiled the first edition of the McGuffey Eclectic Reader in this house. His Reader taught lessons in reading, spelling, and civic education by using memorable stories of honesty, hard work, thrift, personal respect, and moral and ethical standards alongside illustrative selections from literary works. The six-edition series increased in difficulty and was developed with the help of his brother Alexander Hamilton McGuffey. After the Civil War the Readers were the basic schoolbooks in thirty-seven states and by 1920 sold an estimated 122 million copies, reshaping American public school curriculum and becoming one of the nation's most influential publications.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
McGuffey lived at this site in a small frame house in 1828, and in 1833 built this brick home in the Federal vernacular style common to the area. The west wing was added about 1860 in the first of a series of renovations typical of nineteenth-century domestic architecture in the Miami Valley. From the 1850s to 1958 several Oxford families owned the property. At the Miami University Sesquicentennial in 1958, the University purchased the house from the Wallace P. Roudebush
Erected 2002 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Miami University, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 30.427′ N, 84° 44.15′ W. Marker is in Oxford, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Street and Oak Street, on the right when traveling east on Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 East Spring Street, Oxford OH 45056, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Act of 1794 (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Holmes McGuffey (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mother of Fraternities Alpha Delta Phi (approx. ¼ mile away); Langstroth Cottage / Lorenzo Langstroth (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Verlin L. Pulley Tower (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oxford Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oxford Female Institute / Caroline Scott Harrison 1832-1892 (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oxford.
Also see . . .
1. William Holmes McGuffey. (Submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. McGuffey Digital Collection at Miami University. (Submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Heroes • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,867 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.